Windchase XC Derby 2021
Come join us for the Windchase XC Derby on Saturday September 4! (The rain-date is Sunday September 5.)
Prizes and pair classes are featured.
The Windchase Cross-Country Derby course will go out across our 100-acre-plus XC course, going from field to field. Courses will be approximately two miles long. Participants may ride individually or in pairs.
The course will include water, banks and ditches, as well as some foxhunting type obstacles. All courses designed to be confidence building and inviting, and you have the option of jumping fences a level lower or higher than your entered division.
This is a unique chance to ride over the beautiful rolling hills of western Loudoun County, at the base of the Blue Ridge Mountains, while competing in a fun and informal atmosphere.
We will have a division for Pairs, where two riders go out together (and hopefully come back together too!), as well as the regular individual classes.
Intro/Elementary: Fences not to exceed 2’3, speed 275 meters/minute
Beginner Novice: Fences not to exceed 2’7, speed 325 meters/minute
Novice: Fences not to exceed 2’11, speed 375 meters/minute
Training/Modified: Fences not to exceed 3’4, speed 425 meters/minute
PAIRS - Two horse/rider combinations go out together. Choose your jump heights, pairs can be mixed. Choose your optimum time target.
Classes judged on closest to Optimum Time and jumping penalties. In all divisions, if you choose to jump a lower or higher option that is fine. If you skip a fence altogether that is OK too, a small time penalty will be added to your time. Lead horses will be available for Elementary and BN if needed.
Entries are $80 for pre-entries, or $90 for late or post entries. You can post enter on the day, but we much prefer it if you sign up in advance.
Second rounds can be added, either in advance or on the day, for $40.
Payment for pre-entries must be received by the Wednesday before the Derby.
(A $25 office fee is due if you cancel after the closing date.)
Approximate ride times will be emailed out several days before the Derby.
There will be prizes!
ASTM/SEI certified helmets and XC vests are required. Negative coggins within 12 months. A Windchase release form MUST be signed before you ride. Any riders under 18 must have their release form signed by a parent. Water is available on grounds. There will NOT be a food concession.
There is a $25 cancellation fee for cancellations after closing date.
Please be sure to sign a release form before mounting. It is preferable if you send it electronically through Strider or by email before the Derby.
XC vests and approved helmets required.
Please pay when you enter via Event Clinics to secure your spot, or mail a check made out to Windchase. To get the pre-entry rate, payment must be received by 7:00 pm on the Wednesday before the Derby.
- Extra Round $40.00
- Late Fee$10.00
- Refund fee$10.00
- Ride Time: Approximate ride times will be E-mailed out on the Thursday before the Derby. Post entries are accepted ($90), so if you have a friend who wants to join at the last minute, bring them along! We do prefer you to sign up in advance though, so we know how to make up the schedule.
- Trailer Direction: The address for the clinic: 36502 Kidwell Road, Hillsboro (or Purcellville), VA 20132When you turn up Kidwell Road, we are the 4th drive on the right. The number is 36502, and it says Windchase on the mailbox and rock sign. At the house, bear left and go back past the lake to the stables. Please drive slowly and watch for speed bumps and dogs.
The GPS will sometimes direct people to turn onto Piney Run Road instead of Kidwell. DO NOT DO THIS! Please be sure to turn off of 671, the Harpers Ferry Road, onto Kidwell Road. (Piney Run Lane is about a quarter mile north of Kidwell.)
- Change Policy: Changes are permitted up to 1 day(s) before registration closes.
- Refund Policy: Refunds are permitted up to 3 day(s) before activity begins.
- Entry Option(s) Secure Spot: Pay in full via STRIDER Reserve Spot Via STRIDER, Mail Check