NOVAWE Working Equitation Clinic with Mills Smith
This clinic is organized and offered by Northern Virginia Working Equitation (NOVAWE), an Affiliate Organization of USA Working Equitation (USAWE) and focuses on Working Equitation (WE) obstacles as well as flat work exercises to improve execution.
NOVAWE members receive advance registration notification to NOVAWE events. This clinic opens on Jan 14th to NOVAWE members who have the passcode. The clinic will be open to the public on Jan. 18th where a passcode is not needed.
If you would like to join NOVAWE, please visit https://novawe.org/membership/.
Mills's equestrian background began in South Africa where she started riding at a young age. In 1998 Melissa moved to the United States to attend college as an Equestrian Business Major. For 11 years she taught professionally at a large lesson barn in Maryland, teaching students of all ages and levels in both dressage and eventing. Over the past three years Melissa has been delving into the world of Working Equitation, introducing riders and horses to the enjoyment of obstacle courses and judged shows. Teaching is her passion, and she loves to help riders progress and obtain their individual goals whether they are competing, improving their horsemanship, or just for the love of being with horses.
ABOUT THE CLINIC:
-Three 1.5 hour group sessions, starting at 9:00 with a 45 minute break for lunch.
-Each group will have no more than 4 riders.
-Riders organized into Newbie, Intro, and Novice groups. Some groups will be combined depending on the number of entries.
***BE SURE TO WRITE IN THE ORGANIZER NOTES SECTION WHICH LEVEL YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE IN***.
NEWBIE: This group is for riders/horses that have never done Working Equitation (WE) obstacles before. All work done in walk and trot. Riders generally attend at least one Newbie clinic before signing up for an Intro group.
-INTRO: This group is for riders/horses that have some experience with the WE obstacles. Work will be done in walk and trot.
-NOVICE: This group is for riders/horses that have experience with the WE obstacles. Work will be done at walk, trot, and canter.
-Clinic Cost of $60 includes a $10 non-refundable office fee.
Bring your own water/hay for your horse/pony. Please clean up around your trailer and take poop/hay home with you.
If dangerous weather, such as ice or snow, prevents the clinic from being held, there is a make up day on March 11th.
Contact organizer, Biddie Lowry, with any questions.
If you see "WAITLIST", then that means that all of the allocated slots have been taken. Please email Biddie Lowry to be put on the Wait List along with the name of the group that you want to be in.
No refunds after Closing Day of 2/25/23.
You can download the NOVAWE release and email it to Biddie Lowry. Please send a current Coggins within one year of the clinic date to Biddie.
1. Coggins within 1 year of event.
2. NOVAWE Release
- Restroom is in the main barn on the right.
- Snacks and water will be available at the check in table.
- Bring your own water for your horse.
- Please leave your dogs at home.
- Because of the limited parking for trailers, we ask participants who have finished their session to load their horses in a timely manner to make room for the next session's participants.
MEDIA RELEASE: By entering a Northern Virginia Working Equitation (NOVAWE) sponsored event, I agree that as a condition of and in consideration of acceptance of entry, NOVAWE may use or assign photographs, videos, audios, cablecasts, or other likenesses of me and my horse taken during the course of the event for the promotion, coverage, or benefit of the event or NOVAWE. Those likenesses shall not be used to advertise a product and they may not be used in such a way as to jeopardize amateur status. I hereby expressly and irrevocably waive and release any rights in connection with such use, including any claim to compensation, invasion of privacy, right of publicity, or to misappropriation.
- Ride Time: Instructions and ride times will be mailed out the Wednesday before the clinic. Ride Times will also be posted on Facebook.
- Trailer Direction: Follow GPS to the farm. YOU MUST MAKE A WIDE TURN TO ENTER THE DRIVEWAY AND TO EXIT THE DRIVEWAY. The driveway circles the indoor. Drive around the indoor and pull up as far as the cones. More instructions will be emailed to participants before the clinic.
- Change Policy: Changes are not permitted.
- Refund Policy: Refunds are permitted before registration closes.
- Entry Option(s) Secure Spot: Pay in full via STRIDER